Title: Senior Project Engineer
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Job Code: 2.4.4
Four-year degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field preferred, high school diploma or equivalent required. Minimum of eight years of product development and design experience including design from machining, within the orthopedic industry required, spine segment preferred.
Essential experience and skills:
- 3D CAD experience along with prototyping experience (stereolithography).
- Demonstrated skills and ability to become a technical expert with Company products and programs.
- Multi-task oriented, team player and able to lead and manage change.
- Excellent, professional written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal communications skills, including motivating and coaching.
- Independent worker, entrepreneurial oriented, dynamic self-starter with initiative and drive to be successful.
- Well-organized with good analytical and time management skills.
- Able to react to situations with a “Sense of Urgency”.
- Computer proficient, including intermediate level understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Project Engineer – Design Engineer (SPE) will work with a cross functional team (surgeons, sales, marketing, engineering, and manufacturing) to design innovative surgical implants and instrumentation. The SPE will assist with concept development, product design, validation and product launch. Along with management and the engineering staff, the SPE will be responsible for various aspects of product development including mechanical design, materials procurement, feasibility, prototype fabrication, testing, surgeon product development meetings, wetlab testing, and product launch. This is an opportunity for a creative, hardworking individual to see his/her ideas come to fruition in a market place that helps people lead a higher quality of life.
Duties and Responsibilities also include:
- Participate in the mechanical design of various surgical implants and instrumentation.
- Generate solid models and design drawings/specifications. (SolidWorks and Pro/Engineer preferred, but not required).
- Supervision of Intern/Junior Project level Engineers and/or additional team staff.
- Interface with vendors for critical component selection and tool qualification.
- Interface with surgeon designers and marketing personnel.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
Anticipated Travel:Up to 15%
Position Status: Full Time, Salary
Exempt Status: Yes